About the Company
SCOUT is a fast-growing Washington, DC-based brand known for functional, stylish, affordable bags. SCOUT products are designed to help modern women contain, organize, and carry all the stuff they—and their families—need to navigate and celebrate their busy days and lives. A woman-led brand with a large, devoted following, SCOUT is known for its original, limited-edition patterns and versatile designs spanning bags, accessories, coolers, storage, and more. SCOUT sells both online and offline through a network of 1,500 specialty stores. The authenticity of a brand is best measured not only by the products, websites, and marketing, but also by the people behind the brand. Our team of bright individuals has a genuine passion for hard work and laughter.
About the Position
SCOUT is seeking a driven and accomplished digital and graphic designer to join our growing team. Under the direction of the Creative Content Director, and in collaboration with the Marketing Team, the Digital/Graphic Designer will be responsible for creating compelling and successful brand materials that articulate the benefits of SCOUT products to our customers. This person is comfortable tackling all aspects of the design process, from concept to execution, while working closely with teams. Work includes the creation of optimized web images for Magento (our eCommerce platform), clean CSS and HTML, and press-ready production files. This role also requires a dynamic, results-oriented individual who can handle a fast-paced environment and react quickly to changing needs and objectives.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Use SCOUT’s brand guidelines to design and produce digital and print materials, and a wide variety of other digital and physical experiences for both the wholesale and retail sides of the business.
- Ensure quality by committing to internal processes and standards, including presentation decks.
- Create layouts for catalogs and other printed materials based on marketing initiatives.
- Stay current with the latest emerging design, marketing, advertising, and branding, as well as technologies to improve upon skills and techniques.
- Present and contribute to weekly Team Creative Review meetings and monthly Creative Reviews with Chief Creative Officer and the team.
- Maintain, demonstrate, cultivate proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud software.
- Wireframe, build, test, and launch email programs and one-offs using our email marketing software (Bronto).
- Continuously update, tag, and upload assets into Canto, our Digital Asset Management platform.
- Work closely with our in-house photographer and production artist to integrate animation, video, stop motions, and other media into emails, social media, and web pages.
- Design and implement website landing pages using HTML and CSS, modify HTML pages within our Content Management System (Magento), inclusive of landing pages, banners, and home page graphics and callouts.
- Maintain usability and UX best practices, capabilities, and limitations of web & mobile technologies.
- Integrate seasonal catalogs into digital content in the form of buying guides.
- Build and update the SCOUT Amazon Storefront and accompanying More Views and product imagery that highlight key features and selling points.
- Help build tests for website improvements using Google Optimize and Analytics.
- Work with in-house photographer to create print-ready imagery.
- Work with photographer and printer to establish and verify good, consistent color.
- Prepare and update InDesign files for catalogs and other collateral.
- Style and format text and images using InDesign paragraph, character and object styles and make text/layout corrections in InDesign documents as needed.
- Work with Graphic Production Artist to preflight projects and troubleshoot/correct any issues such as missing fonts, low-resolution images, wrong color space, trapping and overprinting.
- Review blueline proofs with Senior Graphic Designer and make on-site press checks as needed.
What We’d Like to See in You
- 4+ years of design experience of proven creative design and digital including 3+ years of experience in a designer role or capacity at an agency or for an in-house brand.
- A portfolio that shows strong visual craft applied across a range of deliverables, both print and digital.
- Experience working with a cross-disciplinary team in a highly collaborative environment with diverse perspectives and expertise.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft Office programs.
- Experience with HTML/CSS.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or Advertising.
- Great typography skills and an expertise and practice of design fundamentals.
- Ability to embrace challenges and inspire new ways of thinking and approaching design problems while able to move quickly to prove out ideas.
- Strategic problem solving skills and the capacity to distill complex information into meaningful concepts, ideas, and designs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Curiosity, humility, and a passion for doing great work.
- Contribute and encourage a growing creative team.
- A flexible personality that can thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- An appreciation/familiarity of the SCOUT brand
- A strong sense of graphic style
- Experience in e-commerce
- Ability to create assets and graphics for video
- Experience with a consumer products brand
- Experience working with or knowledge of 3D Virtual imagery
What You’ll Get From Us
- An opportunity to grow and evolve your career while working in a fun, and dynamic environment. Professional education enrichment is part of the package.
- Experience working with creative and motivated people. We take creative engagement very seriously.
- A team-oriented incentive plan
- 401K and Health and Vision Coverage
- Seasonal wellness credits and a seasonal credit toward SCOUT merchandise (plus a killer employee discount)
- A casual dress code in a bright and happy office environment